This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Friday, November 28, 2014

Univox SuperFuzz (modded)

Here the Univox SuperFuzz with the mods done by FSB member derringer. It replaces the stock tone switch with a pot, as well as a few other useful mods. Socket the 2 ceramic caps going from the base to collector on Q1 and Q6 and try some different values (I'm guessing in the 100pf to 500pf range). This one's a little on the wide side, so you'd be hard pressed to fit it in a 1590B, but it should fit quite nicely in a 1590BB.


16 comments:

  1. Still unverified?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've built several different Super Fuzz layouts. The Derringer version sounds best to me. I'm going to give this one a go. Building that thing on vero is no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's verified :)
    This layout is really great. Thanks so much for doing it!

    The bass players out there should definitely build this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was quick! Thanks for verifying!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. I have some time off so I'm feverishly building all the stuff I've had on my workbench for the past few months. It's really rewarding to finish projects and make my work space cleaner in the process!

      btw, I sourced some NOS Matsushita 2SC828s for this and WHOA. I'm glad I went ahead and used all my finest parts on this layout 'cuz it sounds great. Thanks again and again.

      Delete
    3. Here are some photos of the build I did using the PCB layout:

      http://aishaloe.tumblr.com/post/149387622318/univox-super-fuzz-clone-a-gift-for-a-friend-i?is_related_post=1

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next to the 10k pots there are extra holes. What are they for? Jumper or fixed value resistance? Excuse my ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are there in case you're using a different size trimmer with different pin orientations. Just gives the builder a little more flexibility.

      Delete
  6. Right! That cross my mind at some point. Thanks 🙏.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How should the trim pots on this one be set? It looks like one is doing something with the diodes and the other one must do something for q4 and q5? Perhaps they are both "adjust to taste"? Thanks gang!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any idea what the mystery cap value next to Q1 is?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Works great and I haven't got the proper trannies in yet. Ended up using a 790PF for mystery cap. and also played around with the 15K resistor near Q6. ended up with 18K.

    ReplyDelete