This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Fender Blender

The Fender Blender would probably just be a blip in the history of fuzz if it weren't for the likes of Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) and Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine), as it was generally regarded as too harsh sounding. This aggressive fuzz is good for metal leads and also can create an octavia sound on the neck pickup with the Sustain control rolled down. The Boost footswitch is actually a tone boost, and uses a SPDT switch (or DPDT if you want LED indication). I've laid the circuit out for on board, right angle pots, mounted from the solder side (or you can use long leg ones mounted from the component side). I've increased the power filtering cap and added polarity protection as well as input and output pull down resistors, and on board LED resistors. With the 2 footswitches, I thought it would be best to design the layout for a 1590BB oriented like this, so keep that in mind.





5 comments:

  1. Thank you :) I was wating for that one :-) keep on the good work

    Sérgio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just built it and it doesn't work. Only blend works as it should. I haven't compared it with schematic yet. Basicly, the blend is ok, but there is no fuzz. I checked it twice for bad solder joints and possible shorts, but everything is clean. I will check it again, also the components, but i doubt i did something wrong. Btw.Thank you for your work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, everything is ok with components. I'll check the schematic now and test it with audio probe.

      Delete
    2. Well, acording to schematic, everything is ok. However, I did had a tiny short I noticed under mine USB microscope. It works now but i can hear some gating. If I remember good, the first Blender I made years ago (Fuzz Central layout) didn't had gating. It's late so I can't dime the amp and hear it right. I will try it tomorrow and will post the results. Cheers.

      Delete
  3. Mark it as verified. The gating dissapears with all germanium diodes. I placed silicon in instead, couse i was going to make a first version with silicon diodes.

    ReplyDelete